Sirens Round 8 Match Report

OXSC Sirens 1 – Glen Waverley 2
OXSC – Abriani, Albrecht, Ardern, Bassiray, Campbell, Deans, Du Moulin, Eddy, Furst, Kayler, Longden, Marson, Polonidis, Zaharias, Zugna
Goalscorer: A Campbell
Assist: E Marson

To their credit, the girls delivered on the pre game message and came out all guns blazing to begin the match. A high press was implemented and the Old Xavs were pushing forward with intent. Five minutes on the clock, and the first chance of the game fell to striker Alexya Campbell who was desperately unlucky not to score, smacking the crossbar with a well hit strike. An early goal would have settled some nerves. Glen Waverley were struggling to get out of their half as the Sirens continued to dominate, but they weren’t going to make it easy for OXSC as they maintained a very disciplined defensive structure. A few half chances were created for the Old Xavs but nothing that tested the visiting keeper.

Half an hour into the game and a free kick was won for Glen Waverley thirty yards out. The ball was dinked into the far post, and a header put back into the mix for an unmarked player to latch onto and finish. Sirens pay the penalty for some slack defending, 1-0 to the visitors. All of a sudden, the intensity and hunger that was there early in the game was gone and the girls were looking flat. The opposition had lifted and a sense of belief was instilled in them. The whistle blew for half time with the Sirens trailing by the solitary goal from Glen Waverley’s only chance. Time to lift.

OXSC started the 2nd period like a house on fire and within the first 10 minutes, had an equaliser. A free kick was taken by midfielder Emily Marson with a great ball over the top of the Glen Waverley defence played into the path of Campbell. The Sirens number 11 took a touch, settled onto her preferred right side and left the net bulging to take her tally for the season into double figures. Crowd went nuts and the girls had a goal that they truly deserved. Morale was back and the Old Xavs were back on top and pushing for a 2nd. Sirens captain Claire Longden had seemed to be fouled in midfield just 5 minutes later, nothing given. With the Sirens dispossessed, Glen Waverley took advantage and countered at pace, and with their 2nd goalscoring opportunity of the game took the lead for a second time with a well taken finish into the bottom left corner.

That goal took the wind out of the sail, OXSC required to come back for a second time. 30 minutes left on the clock however and there was plenty of time to get something out of the game. The final half hour was all Sirens, with a number of opportunities to level it up being made. Each of the posts and an incredible one on one save by the Glen Waverley keeper kept their lead intact. Urgency to get a result was there, but the visitors seemed more than content to hang onto their 2-1 lead and throw all numbers behind the ball. Time wasting late in the game led to a yellow card; but a 2nd equaliser wasn’t forthcoming.

The game finished with a 2-1 defeat to the Old Xavs, a result that was unjust. Despite dominating the game, it shows how important it is to not lapse in concentration and to take your chances when they fall to you. The Sirens now drop down to 3rd place, and face ladder leaders Richmond next week.

Recent Posts
Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text.